>

Author Topic: Know Better "A Better Tomorrow" To Know Better Jin Mo's 2010 New Movie  (Read 2153 times)

Offline HY

"A Better Tomorrow" (ABT) is a very successful Hong Kong movie made in 1986 (see the awards list below), with principal themes of friendship and honor within modern society.  The plot has a strong focus on the male relationship of friends and brothers.  JJM will play the equivalent of "Ho", a character which affords plentiful opportunities for JJM's rich expressions.  The actor who played this role in ABT won himself the best actor award in the 23rd Golden Horse Award.  Holding my breath for another breakthrough by JJM.

Plot: Mark and Ho are gangsters for a major syndicate. Ho's brother Kit is unaware of his brother's lifestyle and is himself an ambitious police officer. However when Ho is betrayed by the bosses he is sent to jail and his father murdered, leaving Kit marked within the force and bitter towards Ho. Mark takes revenge on those who set up Ho but suffers severe damage to his leg as a result. When Ho comes out of prison Mark is reduced to cleaning up for new boss, Shing. Ho and Mark resolve to move on, but Shing has other ideas and also plans to deal with Kit to stop him investigating. With the police and mob closing in Ho, Mark and Kit are forced to take a stand.... 

Awards:
 The 6th Annual Hong Kong Film Awards
• Winner - Best Picture
• Winner - Best Actor (Chow Yun-Fat)
• Nomination - Best Director (John Woo)
• Nomination - Best Actor (Ti Lung)
• Nomination - Best Supporting Actor (Waise Lee Chi-Hung)
• Nomination - Best Screenplay (John Woo)
• Nomination - Best New Artist (Waise Lee Chi-Hung)
• Nomination - Best Cinematography (Horace Wong Wing-Hang)
• Nomination - Best Editing (Kam Ma)
• Nomination - Best Art Direction (Lui Chi-Leung)
• Nomination - Best Original Score (Koo Ka-Fai)

The 23rd Annual Golden Horse Awards
• Winner - Best Picture
• Winner - Best Director (John Woo)
• Winner - Best Actor (Ti Lung)
• Winner - Best Cinematography (Horace Wong Wing-Hang)
• Winner - Best Sound Recording
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:12:20 AM by LoveJooJinMo »

Offline HY

Re: Know Better "A Better Tomorrow" To Know Better Jin Mo's 2010 New Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
In the Korean version, the relationship among the characters are the same as "A Better Tomorrow", but the backdrop changes to the Korean landscape.  For example, the equivalent of Mark & Ho are defectors from North Korea and they smuggle firearms.  Kit, Ho's younger brother, was bitter towards him because he left Kit and his mother behind when he defected.

This re-make has been mentioned a few times in HK papers, with reports on JJM, and on John Woo, ABT's director.  Woo was recently honored with the Venice Film Festival's lifetime achievement award.

Offline LoveJooJinMo

• Administrator
  • Support Jin Mo as a fan & friend
    • Joo Jin Mo's Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
Thank you HY for all these introductions - actually I've watched every single movie of Chow shot in 1980's.  I was a big fan of his when I was in high school.  And ABT was one of my favorites.  This is my first time to learn so well about this movie.  John Woo is a great director, I hope that Jin Mo will have some chances to work with him and other great actors and directors in Asia.

Oh Ti Lung was nominated for 'Best Actor', I'll pray our dear Jin Mo win 'Best Actor' at Baeksang, Blue Dragon and Daejong and even more this time! 

Offline HY

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
Amiiiiieeeen! - q'est-ce que c'est?  Whatever that means, thanx guys.

LoveJJM, i also hope JJM will have the opportunity to work with the likes of John Woo or Lee Ang.  They are well respected and decorated directors and it would be formidable combination, explosive chemistry.  There is a time for everything......just we wait.

Offline LoveJooJinMo

• Administrator
  • Support Jin Mo as a fan & friend
    • Joo Jin Mo's Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
... it would be formidable combination, explosive chemistry.

Exactly.  Seems that day is not far - this time Jin Mo will win tons of tons of attention from whole Asia and even more!  As long as people see him, he will attract them with 'fatal' power,   8) 8) 8) :o :o :o  yeah, that is just our dear Jin Mo!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:05:16 AM by LoveJooJinMo »

Joo Jin Mo's 37th Birthday
Joo Jin Mo's 37th Birthday